Monday, May 01, 2006

Vadu Maanga Pickle

Ingredients
Tender mango(size of a lemon)- 1 KG
salt crystals - 200 gms
turmeric powder -1 tea spoon
mustard-3 table spoons
red chillies 15 to 20

Maa vadu:
Wash the mangoes. Wipe them dry.
Take a ceramic or glass jar.Put a handful of salt in the bottom of the jar. Put the mangoes over it.Again top it with salt.Keep it for 2 days.
The mangos would have shrunk.This is known as maa vadu. The mangoes would be floating in salt solution.

Method For making vadu maanga.
Take out the salt solution from the jar.
Grind red chillies,turmeric and mustard to paste.
Mix it with the salt solution. Add the shrunk mangoes.

This can be stored for a year.
Method to make vadu maanga pickle:
Remove a handful vadus from the jar using a ladle.
Add 3 tea spoon of chilly powder,mustard and methi powder to the vadus.
Heat oil and pour it over the mangoes (vadus)

9 Comments:

Blogger Indira said...

A whole blog dedicated to mango recipes, how wonderful.

I've heard about this recipe but never got a chance to taste it.

Thanks for participating in JFI-Mango Event.
Indira

10:13 AM  
Blogger piriyamudan amma said...

Hi
Indira..
thank you for the opportunity given through your blog.

9:08 PM  
Blogger archana said...

Wow, a mango blog !!!!
Tender mango pickle is my all time favorite, thank you for the recipe
Archana

6:22 AM  
Blogger Vaishali said...

PA,
An entire blog for mangoes! That's such a unique idea. I will have to visit this regularly. I'll add you to my blog roll to make things easier for me. Hope it's ok with you.

12:35 AM  
Blogger Vaishali said...

Btw, what does 'Mango Mirattals' mean?

12:37 AM  
Blogger piriyamudan amma said...

Hi Archant
Mango mousse looks great.I will try that soon.
Hi vaishali
Thanks for uncluding me in your blog roll.I tried your methamba.Fantastic.
Mirattals in tamil means threatening...just for fun i gave that name.

3:17 AM  
Blogger Nandita said...

Hi, Your name sounds so loving that I had to pop in and see- did not find an email id to write to, hence leaving my comments here

So your whole blog is dedicated to mangoes??

Would love to be in touch with you !

3:34 AM  
Blogger piriyamudan amma said...

Hi nandita
srikalabadri@hotmail.com is my email Id.My other blogs are nalaa.blogspot.com,nalaa3.blogspot.com,nalaa4.blogspot.com.
Thank you.

2:47 AM  
Blogger lalitadeb said...

Hi. Thanks for the lovely recipies!
I have a little doubt. For the Vadu Maanga Pickle, do I add the chillie, methi and mustard to the handful of vadus that I must take out, and then put the lot back into the jar or just make the pickle as you said, a handful at a time?
My maangas have been in the salt solution and sun for two days now. :)
Thanks

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home